What is FEDVIP?
The Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP) is a voluntary, enrollee-pay-all dental and vision program that offers eligible participants a choice between 10 dental and four vision carriers, with some plans offering both high and standard options. Enrollee-pay-all means there are no government contributions toward premiums.
Who's eligible for FEDVIP Vision?
In general, retired uniformed service members and their families who were eligible for the TRICARE Retiree Dental Program (TRDP) in 2018 are eligible for FEDVIP dental coverage and, if enrolled in a TRICARE health plan, FEDVIP vision coverage, beginning in 2019.
In addition, family members of active duty uniformed service members who are enrolled in a TRICARE health plan are eligible for FEDVIP vision coverage.
Here is a high-level breakdown of who's eligible for FEDVIP Vision. There may be exceptions or less common situations that are not listed below. As more details become available, we will continue to update this section.
FEDVIP vision coverage
In addition to meeting the eligibility criteria below, you must also be enrolled in a TRICARE health plan to be eligible for vision coverage under FEDVIP.
You are eligible to enroll in FEDVIP vision coverage as the sponsor, or primary enrollee, if you are a:
- family member of an active duty uniformed service member
- retired member of the uniformed services receiving retired or retainer pay, and you may add your eligible family members
- member of the Retired Reserve (including a gray area reservist who is under age 60 and entitled to retired pay, but might not yet receive it), and you may add your eligible family members
- Medal of Honor recipient (not on active duty), and you may add your eligible family members
- member of the Reserve Components enrolled in TRICARE Reserve Select, and you may add your eligible family members
- survivor of a retired uniformed service member, Retired Reserve member, Medal of Honor recipient, Reserve Component member deceased in the line of duty, or Selected Reserve member (if you are a surviving spouse, you must be unremarried)
- TRICARE For Life beneficiary (however, you are not eligible if you are on active duty for more than 30 days or you are a transitional survivor)
- former spouse who is unremarried
Eligible family members
If you are a family member who is eligible to enroll as the primary enrollee, you are included in the FEDVIP dental and vision coverage lists above.
The following family members are typically enrolled in the program under the sponsor's coverage, with the sponsor being the primary enrollee:
- current spouses
- unmarried children who are under age 21 if they are not a student, under age 23 if they are a full-time student, or incapable of self-support because of a mental or physical incapacity*
- unmarried dependents in legal custody of the sponsor for more than 12 months (including pre-adoptive children and eligible wards of state) who are under age 21 if they are not a student, under age 23 if they are a full-time student, or incapable of self-support because of a mental or physical incapacity*
*A child's or dependent's student or incapable of self-support status must be registered in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting Systems (DEERS)
Who is UnitedHealthcare Vision?
UnitedHealthcare Vision provides vision benefits that offer significant cost savings, a broad and diverse provider network, and freedom of choice on eyewear. By choosing a UnitedHealthcare vision plan, you’ll have:
- Clear Benefits and Value
- We provide a clear description of the vision plan benefits and value so you can make informed decisions about you and your family’s eye health.
- Provider Access and Choice
- By offering both private practice and retail store providers across the country, you choose the eye doctor who meets your lifestyle, eye care and eye wear needs.
- Excellent care
- Quality of your eye care is directed by our Chief Eye Care Officer.
- Eye Wear Choice and Value
- Our frame allowance enables you to choose any frame with your preferred style within plan allowance at network providers. “Price protection” is offered on popular upgrades such as progressive, anti-reflective or photo-chromic lenses.
- Convenient and Award-Winning Customer Service
- We provide you with website tools and a superior customer service team available when you need assistance.
- UnitedHealthcare was awarded “Highest in Customer Satisfaction with Vision Plans 4 out of 5 years in a Row” 1
- As a UnitedHealthcare vision member, you’ll also have access to:
- 20% to 40% discount on popular lens options (like progressives and tints)
- Discounts on extra pairs of eyewear
- Discounts on laser vision correction
- Preferred pricing on premium hearing aids
How does UnitedHealthcare support Veterans and our Military?
We are honored to serve U.S. military service members, veterans, and their families through a variety of services:
- We support service members, veterans, and their families through partnerships, volunteer opportunities and community service initiatives. There are a number of initiatives we support including:
- Project Hero: We are a lead sponsor of Ride 2 Recovery, providing financial, in-kind and volunteer support at cycling events across the country to help injured veterans recover from pysical and mental wounds suffered in combat.
- Paralyzed Veterans of America: We have formed a strategic partnership with Paralyzed Veterans of America to help veterans transition to civilian life and navigate the complex landscape of finding jobs.
- National Military Family Association: United Health Foundation’s partnership with the National Military Family Association provides scholarship to military spouses working to complete clinical training in mental health and counseling.
- Fisher House Foundation: Through our partnership with the Fisher House Foundation, we provide free, temporary housing and childcare services to the families of service members and veterans needing medical care at the Camp Pendleton Fisher House, the Joint Base Lewis-McChord Fisher House and the Fisher House Naval Medical Center San Diego.
- And many more!
- In support of those we serve, or have served, and their families, we also provide access to career opportunities and programs. We know that those who serve or have served have special skills that can be applied in helping deliver best-in-class health care benefits and services. To help returning service members or veterans transition to a new career, we provide tools that help these heroes understand how their skills can be applied across our company.
- The Military Skills Translator, a unique tool developed specifically for our company, helps service members convert their military experience into opportunities available at the company.
- We deployed an internal online course to help managers identify how military skill sets translate into our careers and values.
- Throughout the year, we host and attend military and veterans’ career fairs on location and nationwide virtual career events.
What is open season?
The Federal Benefits Open Season (or open season) is your annual opportunity to enroll in, change, or cancel a FEDVIP dental and/or vision plan. Each year, it runs from the Monday of the second full work week in November through the Monday of the second full work week in December. This year's open season is November 12 through December 10, 2018.
What do I need to do?
You don't need to take action yet. However, if you'd like vision coverage next year, effective January 1, 2019, you must select and enroll in a FEDVIP plan during the next Federal Benefits Open Season. Open season is your annual opportunity to sign up for FEDVIP, and this year it runs from November 12 through December 10, 2018.
Where can I go for additional information?
Click here: BENBEFEDS.com
- UnitedHealthcare received the highest numerical score in the proprietary J.D. Power 2013-2015, 2017 Vision Plan Satisfaction ReportsSM. Report measures opinions of consumers with vision plans, includes four plans, and is based on responses from 1,312 consumers. Proprietary study results are based on experiences and perceptions of consumers surveyed October 2017. Your experiences may vary. Visit www.jdpower.com